Thursday, June 10, 2010

Dell Tech Support 2010

Oh Lordy - here comes a rant. First, let me explain. I used to work for Dell as a phone technical support person. Therefore, I believe I am entitled to have a wee bit of an opinion about what decent support looks and feels like. You won't find it these days, I am afraid. As with most other hardware/software/banks, etc. - it's all outsourced. I truly believe the people taking our calls on the other side of the world have all great intentions of doing a good job. But, somewhere along the line, it falls short. Here's my example.

My laptop was overheating - it was just getting so hot when I was using it I couldn't even hold it ON MY LAP. I called tech support. Caveat - I SHOULD HAVE LOOKED AT THE FAN MYSELF.

Three calls later I was promised on-site service (which I have already paid for up front for 3 years) with a new mother board, power adapter and fan. Service man shows up with 2 out of 3. Puts the new fan on - same thing - spins up and shuts down. He calls Dell. They want me to send my laptop to the "depot" to be repaired.

Hand me the phone, I request in my sweetest voice (you can read between the lines here). Look, I tell the nice man on the other end. First of all - you were supposed to be sending a new mother board per the last call I had. Second, I have paid for on-site service. I am NOT sending my laptop in - you are sending a mother board out. He agrees. (Why do we have to get testy sometimes for people to do what they are supposed to do???)

When I worked on the phones at Dell, I averaged between 45-72 calls per day (eight hour shift). My success rate in troubleshooting and sending correct parts was almost 100%. I have spent over 2 hours on the phone so far for a very simple hardware issue. So, while they may be spending less per hour per support technician, it doesn't take a math genius to conclude they are probably spending as much - or more - overall for technical support due to the low volume of calls these people are capable of handling.

Oh, if I ruled the world...... Hey, Michael Dell - remember me - I had lunch with you one time back in 1995 (LOL). I have a few suggestions....

3 comments:

  1. Well I wish you would call him up again and tell him his company STINKS when it comes to service! I have had my fair share of bad experiences with Dell--and I have TWO yes TWO of his computers. I have one and Nolan has one--and let me tell ya...I'm not overly excited about either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is such a shame that they have fallen so low after winning the JD Powers award back then. And, unfortunately, I think the service for all the major PC makers is just about as lousy. Next time I see Michael Dell , I'll give him an ear full for both of us - LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice and cool stuff.
    Informative Blog !!

    Thanks for Sharing

    Skype Technical Help

    ReplyDelete