Monday, July 12, 2010

Wicked Fun



So...after a nice nap, Tilda was in charge of getting Google map directions from the Hotel to the theater - the Fabulous Fox Theater. The Fox is famous and is one of the amazing art deco masterpieces from the 1920's. They sure don't build them like this anymore.

Tilda's directions were perfect, and we found our way to the theater district with no problems. I was concerned about finding parking - not knowing the area at all. But, as usual, our angels were looking out for us and we found a little parking lot with ONE space left just a half-block from the theater.

There's a cute little park on the corner of the street in the theater district which had this unusual and rather lovely statue of a rabbit. It is called "Earth Rabbit" and he seems to be doing Yoga. The statue is covered in colorful mosaic tiles - wish it had been brighter in the picture. (I was having an issue in getting my camera to go flash on, no flash or auto).



Here is a picture of the outside of the theater - even it's exterior is so reminescent of those "good old days" of big movie theaters - not the kind we have these days at the mall. I used to love going to the "Florida Theater" in Gainesville when I was a kid and sitting in balcony - front row - and watching movies. But, as usual, I digress.



When we walked into the lobby, we were stunned at the beauty of the architecture - I just really can't describe how ornage it was. Every where you looked was elaborate carvings, gargoyles and more. Darn my camera for not working to get a picture of it.
We learned there was an elevator to take us up to the "middle balcony" area - and it was the old-fashioned kind which requires and operator to stop and start it. Very cool. We found the ladies room - and it was as beautiful and exquisitely decorated as everything else in this place.

When we got to our seats, I tried to fidget with camera and got one picture of the interior of the theater - not very good - and was told "NO PICTURES". I wasn't trying to take pictures of the show - but apparently taking any pictures inside is not allowed - for goodness sake! If you look really hard, you can almost make out the dragon that is part of the stage decor (over the stage) and the curtain which glows green on the map of Oz.


Now...for the most important part....the SHOW! Well, it was fabulous. So creative and such a great message. I read the book "Wicked" a few years ago - and the musical is "loosely" based on the book. They do a great job of tying the book's main theme's in with the original "Wizard of Oz" story. The dialogue and lyrics are clever, and go between hilarious and very touching. The sets and costumes were just great. I have to say, it is one of the best - if not THE best - musical I have ever seen. And, I have been lucky enough to see some great shows on Broadway and with major touring companies. I guess I always love them all - but this is one I hope to see again - very soon. It is really special. Tilda just loved every minute of the show. We bought the CD and listened to it almost all the way back to Tulsa. We want to be ready if they need us to fill in on the tour - Ha!!!

1 comment:

  1. I have to say, I am "GREEN" with envy! Haha! I'm also very excited for Tilda to have had the opportunity, especially since she's taking Theatre this year. Hopefully she'll be inspired to try out for the school play! Thank you again for giving her such a wonderful summer trip!

    ReplyDelete