Monday, April 12, 2010

Drillers Ups and Downs


I just couldn't resist that - since I run the elevator at Oneok Field in Tulsa which takes Driller fans to the suites (if they are so lucky as to have a ticket for a suite). I also get to take media folks up to the press box, and occasionally I give a ride to a player down to the clubhouse level. I also occasionally help Hornsby - the Driller's Mascot - get ready for his entrance if a little tucking in is required before the doors open. Hornsby is such a great blue bull!



So, with four games down in the beautiful new Oneok Field, the Drillers got their first win on Sunday. Most of the scoring was done in the first inning - with the home team getting EIGHT RUNS. That is more runs than they had scored in the previous 3 outings together. They were off to a great start. The final score was 9-5.

The weather has been just made to order for the opening home stand. When I left the field around 10:30pm on Saturday night it was still about 71 degrees out - perfect night for a game. Sunday was the first "day" game - and I saw more than one person who forgot to use their sunscreen - ouch! I'll bet they remember the next time.

I don't like this picture much - but here I am in my official Driller Operations Team uniform. Every game the full-time Driller employees have a "shirt of the day" they wear. They have royal blue, white and grey golf shirts they alternate.



In order for the suite and club level fans to go back and forth between the concourse level and the suites they have to wear a wristband. Whenever I've had to help someone get theirs on, I always seem to get the sticky part stuck on their arm hair - some hilarity has ensued on that one! There was a group of guys yesterday that I could tell was a "party looking for a place to happen". One of them wanted to show off his rather prominent beer gut - they were laughing and teasing each other alot. I couldn't help saying "you look like you are about due!". His friends just fell out laughing - and we had good times on my elevator. I try to bring something fun to each ride up or down. I took this one of myself in "my suite" - the elevator!




The only downside - I don't get to see much of the game. But, since my job is to ensure that the fans have a great experience and want to return to many games - I think its more important to bring a little fun to an otherwise routine elevator ride. Apparently I'm doing okay - I've had lots of positive feedback and some fans even tried to slip me some money - which I AM NOT allowed to accept. However, their desire to "tip me" is so lovely and makes my day - it's nice to be appreciated!

I just feel so blessed to be at a point in my life where I can "afford" to take a job like this. And when I think of people who are depending on these kind of jobs for their livelihood - then I know how lucky I am and I stop and say THANK YOU to God for this new opportunity He has given me.

The only downside to a perfect Sunday in the Park with the Drillers was that the concessions ran out of peanuts - what's up with that? I don't think the Circus is in town - ha!!

2 comments:

  1. looks and sounds like you have tons of fun at your new "job".......

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are having a great time. Maybe one day you will get a chance to watch a game on your "off" day. Do you get free admittance? Heehee! I bet Michael would have the best time there.

    ReplyDelete