Saturday, May 8, 2010

Lots of Old Memories!

And, there are some I don't have memories of - because I wasn't born
yet. I have been busy using my new toy - an Epson Perfection V30
scanner. For a long time, I've wanted to scan many old family pictures
so I could be sure they would not be lost, and so I could use them
electronically - like for this posting.

First of all, I grew up in a huge extended family of Bentons. For
those who were in that bunch, you know what I mean. My daddy,
Samuel Edward Benton, was one of seven children. So, in my
generation of first cousins, there were 14 of us. And we were
thick as thieves growing up. So, not only did I have the blessing
of family, but several of my cousins were also my best friends.

The Nathan and Ethel Benton Clan - 1958.

L to R: Harvey, Marian, Rosetta, Cecil, Edward, Kathleen, Grandpa, Grandma, and Buck

The matriarch and patriarch of this clan were Nathan Benton and
Ethel Martin. Nathan was born in South Carolina, and grew up in
what is now regarded as N. Myrtle Beach. Lucky guy! His parents where
William George Benton and Katherine Graham. He must have learned some
good coastal cooking there, because he made the best stuffed crab
I have ever had. He grew his own hot peppers which he did NOT use
sparingly! I love this picture - it is how I remember him.



Grandma Ethel was born around Trenton, FL to Evaline Faircloth and
Samuel A. Martin. Samuel's mother was Carolina Townsend, and the
Townsend family was very prominent around the area where the Santa
Fe and Suwanee rivers join. The Townsend brothers settled in that
area in the mid-1800's. This branch of the Townsend also has roots
in South Carolina in what was Craven County, and on the shores of the
Pee Dee river. Samuel's grandfather, John "Jack" Townsend, was
accidentally drowned in the Suwanee river in 1847.

Love this old picture of Grandma - she's holding my daddy, Edward, when
he was about one year old. This picture is from about 1922.


And 50 years later, in this picture, she looks like we remember her. My daughter, Kate, is the little blondie with her great-grandmother. This is from 1972.


I wish I would have talked to my grandparents more about their "history" when they were alive. I did sit down with Grandma in about 1982 and jotted down her memory of names and dates. It was very helpful when I began my obsession with genealogy.

Finally, here's a couple of pictures of my daddy, Samuel Edward Benton. He was born in Jacksonville when Grandpa and Grandma lived there - Grandpa worked for the railroad. They relocated to Archer when Daddy was very small. Most of his siblings were born in Archer. He played three sports in high school and was named to the all-district teams in all (baseball, football and basketball). He loved the outdoors.

In World War II, he served in the famous 1st Seabee Battalion in the Pacific theater and was involved in the Battle of the Coral Sea. After the war, he returned to Archer, and stated he "never wanted to leave again".


He rarely left north central Florida the rest of his life. He was devoted to his parents and siblings. Always ready to give a helping hand, he was remembered by the citizens of Archer after his death in 1978 by a headstone erected to honor him.


Daddy's grave in Laurel Hill Cemetery, Archer Florida. My granddaughter Mathilda visiting his memorial.

The inscription reads: "A Faithful Servant to His Community - He was Loved and a Friend to All". Now, that's a life well-lived.

Next time - My Texas Connection!

No comments:

Post a Comment