Sunday, May 2, 2010

Tra-La, it's May



And, in NE Oklahoma that means it is time for the Oklahoma Renaissance Festival (OKRF)in Muskogee. I have loved Ren Faires since I first attended the Texas Faire just north of Houston back around 1978. That became an annual event for as long as I lived in Houston, and I think I've been back there once since.

Last year, my son Jeffrey and his partner Amie were invited to participate in the OKRF. I took Michael (his son) out every weekend so he could enjoy all the fun. Michael loved it so much he wanted to be in the "cast" this year, and he was selected to be on the dance team. He has learned all the steps to all the many authentic folk dances the team does, and he's a good dancer.


Amie and Jeffrey's very good friend Jeremy is one of the main characters at OKRF. He plays Will Somers, King Henry VIII's fool. Will Somers is an actual historic figure and was, in fact, more of a friend of Henry's than a fool. "Master Somers" is also in charge of the dancing and parades, and the center of the festival grounds are named for him "Somers Field".


The Castle in Muskogee is a wonderful place, that can transport you back in time. I enjoy dressing in period costumes and being a "playtron" (what they call someone who isn't in the cast, but likes to play along).


Here are my Gypsy men: Rikkirik (Jeffrey) and Lil' Rikki (Michael). To make the family complete, Amie is Lucynda and goes by Lucy (get it??).


Here I am with Master Somers, who has a different gorgeous costume for every day of the Festival (that is at least eight). Amie has helped him make several of them.


And, here I am with Lucy (Amie).


Finally, here I am with Rikki.


Last year at a different fair in Missouri, I was privileged to get to assist in the "Birds of Prey" show by catching a beautiful red-tailed hawk named Lady Valkyrie. This group also comes to OKRF and I was able to get a new picture of Lady Val (she's the one on the arm of the other Lady (ha!)).


Finally, here is just a very cute picture of my grandson, Lil' Rikki (aka Michael Edward Davis). Dancing works up a mighty big thirst!


I have tons of other pictures and if you wish to see them, go find my facebook page and look for the new album OKRF 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment