Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Monster is Out of the Box

I've always loved telling stories, and now I have my platform - look out, ya'll!!

Some of you already know how I went from a small-town girl with an A.A. in English, more than a decade as a secretary (P.C. version - Administrative Assistant) to an I.T. career. It was more than I ever expected or dreamed of. Talk about being in the right place at the right time?? How about a struggling single mom getting a temp job as a word process at an up and coming place called COMPAQ!! Well, one thing led to another and by the new millenium I had made a place for myself in both PC hardware support and repair, along with SQL database and call center technologies. Wow - it was a heady experience in the glory days since 1986! I got to have personal correspondence with the likes of Bill Gates, Peter Norton, Alan Ashton and a numerous other pioneers of the high-tech industry. At least two of three founders of Compaq knew me on sight -- and by name. I worked all the big PC Industry shows from coast to coast and met so many smart, and very nice, people.

But I digress (which by the way, I am thinking of having as my epitaph!!). I love technology, I use technology and I am somewhat addicted to technology. I want a scanner. It would help me in three of my current pursuits - this blog, my DAR chapter newsletter, and my genealogy research and family tree making. So, I'm looking at which type or model would best suit my needs and modest pocket book - ha!!

One of the most important criteria for me in choosing where I am going to be living in my motorhome was that it have WI-FI. I hope it will have nice people - but as long as I get a good WI-FI signal...well, you know...



So, here is my new home, Lucille! In this picture Lucille is parked at Balli Padre Park just outside Corpus Christi. Don't go there, you won't like it (hee, hee - I am kidding, just want there to always be a vacant space when I show up!)

Back to technology. How great is it that I can be watching a football game on my TV and watching the Gators on my laptop. I only watch the Gators via ESPN360 when they aren't on national TV coverage - but I will tell you - it is a pretty good way to watch the game. Now, you are beginning to understand why WI-FI is not a nice to have - it is a MUST HAVE.

It's Half-Time and the Gators are winning. OU isn't doing as well against Texas Tech down in Lubbock.

Hope all your teams are winning today.

No comments:

Post a Comment