Friday, November 20, 2009

Where to Start??

OK, well I promised myself and a few former colleagues I would start a blog when I retired. Apparently they consider me quite the "ranconteur" and swore they would miss hearing "my stories" after I retired. Well, they used to tease me a bit about always having a illustration for every situation. I say, when you have been around six decades you see a lot!!

Anyway, I am right in mid-stream of one of the biggest transitions of my life. I'm moving out of a 2000 sq. ft. home into a 400 sq. ft. motorhome. My intention for retirement was to live a more "simple life" - and I do not mean Paris Hilton style. One accumulates an awful lot of STUFF over 6 decades. Believe it or not, yesterday I found all my report cards from 12 years of school AND my daddy's high school diploma. Since both my parents left us way too soon (in their mid-50's) I have been the designated "keeper of family archives".

About the report cards - if you have them go back and read them, you might find you have created a somewhat rose-colored view of your academic achievements! I should have made more A's - I was happy to get by with not much effort, which translated to mostly B's with a few A's and C's sprinkled around. The biggest chuckle I got was reading the teacher's six-weeks comments from my 3rd grade year. You see, my 8 year old grandson (3rd grade) Michael, gets almost daily "strikes" in class for talking when he isn't supposed to. It must be genetic - because Mrs. Virginia Williams, my 3rd grade teacher, notes to my parents that I am a good student but I have a hard time not talking in class. Well, OK, now we all know where he gets it from!!

Speaking of Mrs. Williams, she recently passed away. She and my daddy were classmates and in the way of small towns, her daughters, Lura and Dara, and I were classmates and grew up together. I'm going to tell you all quite a bit about growing up in a small town as this blog progesses. Maybe that is where I got ALL the life-lessons I needed. I do know that my children and grandchildren have not grown up with the sense of community and belonging that I did - and that I still have for my small-town "family".

1 comment:

  1. Lynda,

    Congratulations! There is no doubt in my mind that you will become a stellar blogger. I look forward to following you as you begin this new adventure.

    As I have expressed to you and others, we "Archer Kids" share a special bond that, for most of us, forged one or more generations before our own. Many of our parents and grandparents were also Archer Kids.

    I look forward to reading about the life lessons learned in our very special home town.

    Lura

    ReplyDelete