Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Being a Daughter!



OK, one of the most exciting things that happened to me in 2009 was being invited to join the Daughters of the American Revolution. I have been into family history research and genealogy for quite a while. A couple of years ago I discovered someone who had served in the Revolutionary war on a branch of my tree. After inquiring what it takes to join the DAR, it took a while to get all the required documentation together to prove my ancestry. Let's just say, the DAR DOES NOT just take your word for it - nor a link on Ancestry.com. You have to have written documents that prove your lineage. Now, they have very experienced researchers who will do everything possible to help you - trust me - they really do know what they are doing on that score. My genealogy researcher who worked tirelessly with me was Deanna Ames. She was so patient and so thorough. When we hit a dead-end on the branch I knew about, she found a completely different branch I knew nothing of and helped me prove it. What a fine Daughter she is!! Thanks, Deanna - you are so kind and so smart. By the way, my Patriot is Robert Sheffield who is an ancestor on my mother's side of the family. I have a couple of others to document - my original ancestor, Lazarus Solomon and a recent find, Job Benton who is my several times great-grandfather on my father's side.

So, last spring I was invited to a meeting of a local chapter so I could meet some of those members and they could meet me. After attending a meeting as a potential member I was invited to join the Captain Peter Ankeny Chapter of the NSDAR. I am having a great time getting to know these wonderful ladies. I received my official invitation in June and my application was submitted in late August to the National Society. In early October I received my official membership packet. What a thrill to now be an official member of the Daughters of the American Revolution.



Now, for you who think this group is some stuffy bunch of old biddies who just sip tea and eat finger sandwiches - you couldn't be more wrong. This organization is all about preserving our American values and showing our gratitude and serving our Veterans and active duty servicemen and women. It's about being proud to be an American and believing the Constitution is really special. It is about going to Veteran's hospitals and visiting people who have no one else. It is about putting wreaths on Veteran's gravesites for Christmas. It is about sending care packages to our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. Well, you get the idea.










Here we are on a very chilly December day gathering to honor our Veterans with Wreaths Across America.











In November I was honored to help host new citizens at the Naturalization Ceremony where 39 new American Citizens were sworn in by Federal judges. Our DAR chapter gave each a small American flag, a brochure on flag etiquette and a copy of the "American's Creed". The joy in their faces was just awesome to see. In our judicial district, the judges have decided to hold these ceremonies at area schools - what a great idea for the school children to witness the swearing in and to see how much it means to these new citizens. We take so much for granted as citizens of the USA. Of course, thsi country is not without its faults - but what a blessing it is to live in such a place where most people don't go to be cold and hungry, and where most children get to go to school WITH shoes on their feet. Please be grateful this year for who you are and where you live - don't take our freedom for granted.

If you think you have a patriot on your family tree - go to the NSDAR website and inquire about membership. They will put you in touch with a chapter in your area.
http://www.dar.org/.

God Bless America!!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Posting.
    I was curious where the cemetery is.
    I couldn't find a Walter Nicholls in the military gravesite locater.

    Congratulations on joining the DAR!

    Dan Maloney
    NY State Coordinator
    Gathering of Eagles
    nygoe.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your DAR membership!

    ~Elizabeth
    (a DAR member in CA)
    Little Bytes of Life

    ReplyDelete