Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Warmer Days

What a joy it has been for the past couple of days to have SUNSHINE and warmer temperatures. After the deep-freeze of the weeks from Christmas through the first week of January - it seems all the more delightful. The doggy and I are enjoying some nice walks around our new neighborhood.


Hey - can I get a nap with my lovey after you dragged me around the neighborhood?

My DAR Chapter is invited to help out with an event coming up on February 4 at the University of Tulsa. Area 5th grade students will be visiting the campus and hearing more about American History, especially the Revolutionary War. We are being asked to be in period dress and act as hostesses for the event. Well, there is nothing I love more than playing dress-up and pretending to live in another era. So, how to take some of my Renaissance Faire clothes and update them for the 18th century. Research on the internet - I love it.

After checking out a few historic clothing sites and pattern books I thought if I added a "Betsey Ross" type scarf and mop hat, my basic RenFaire skirt, bodice and shirt would do the trick. Check me out! I made the scarf and hat from a Simplicity costume pattern I found.

I'm really enjoying being the EDITOR of the Capt. Peter Ankeny Chapter newsletter. It is giving me an outlet for my creative side. I got such nice comments on my first effort, thanks to my very nice DAR "sisters". Thanks to Ancestry.com for helping me with my family tree research - and to the DAR genealogists who are amazing at finding missing pieces!

Hope it is warm and sunny where you are!!

1 comment:

  1. I love the outfit! You are so resourceful, using parts of your Rennie costume to make it! If you hadn't divulged, I'd have never known! Very cute. I hope you have a great time on the 4th! Send pictures!!

    ReplyDelete